Planning to sell your home this spring? Well then, get moving now! Homeowners nationwide are selling their homes quicker and for more money by using proven home-staging techniques. They also use the services of good moving companies like US Border Movers. Homeowners should invest one percent of the sales price in preparing your home for sale.
The investment in staging a home is far less than the cost of a price reduction. And, the best way to prepare your home for sale is to stage it!
The moment you place your home on the market, it becomes a product; and like any product on the shelf at your local store, it has features and benefits, pros and cons, and plenty of competition. To compete in the marketplace it must be marketed right and look better than the competition. Your home is no different. It becomes one of many homes for sale and you must present it to the buyer in the best possible light.
There are plenty of basic things that a seller should do before listing their property.
First, start looking at your house through the buyer’s eyes as though you’ve never seen it before. Start with the outside of your home.
- Go around the perimeter of the house and remove all garbage cans, etc.
- Make sure the gutters are clean.
- Prune bushes and trees. Keep plants away from the windows.
- Weed and mulch.
- Keep the lawn freshly cut and fertilized.
- Clear patios and decks of small items, toys, etc.
- Hose off the house to make it clean and appealing.
- The front door should be clean and inviting. Invest in a new doormat and wreath. Shine up the handle, kickplate, lamp etc.
Now it’s time for the inside.
- Clear the clutter. You plan to move, so start packing now! Pack away collections and any valuables that you wouldn’t want to be broken or damaged.
- Clear all unnecessary objects from kitchen countertops. Clear refrigerator, photos, flyers, magnets, etc.
- In the bathroom, remove any unnecessary items from countertops, shower stalls and commode tops. Keep only your most needed cosmetics, toothbrushes, etc. in one small group. Coordinate towels to one or two colors only and you should probably go out and buy fresh new towels, and possibly a shower curtain if your current one is at all mildewed or tattered.
- Rearrange or remove some of the furniture if necessary to open up space.
- Store extra possessions in the garage or a storage unit.
- Clean! Clean the carpets, the windows, and repaint the walls if necessary.
Staged homes typically sell after just seven days on the market, versus 31 days for non-staged homes. If that’s not enough, staged homes also sell much closer to or over the asking price, whereas non-staged homes usually sell at asking or below.